Sunday, September 30, 2012

What time was the class on social skills?



So as I kind of explained in my introduction post, I’m not the most eloquent or charismatic person in real life. And it is a serious problem. It could be borderline social disorder. Seriously. 

The other day, I had to go to the library to get a magazine for a school project. My first worry was that I had no idea where the magazine section was. It was easy enough to find, with its big sign saying “Periodicals,” so no problem with that. But then the problems start. I see that they have rows of magazines, the ones they keep in plastic sleeves, meaning that they aren’t for check out because they are the latest edition. I glance around, but no magazines for check out are spotted. The next reasonable action would be to ask someone if they have any magazines that I could take. But no. How could I possibly talk to someone? That would be a horrible idea, asking them where I could find magazines. So then, one would think, if I was not going to talk to someone and ask where I could find them, that my next action would be to leave. Huh uh. I had to check out a book because oh-my-goodness-what-will-they-think-of-me-if-I-just-walk-into-a-library-and-don’t-check-anything-out. So I go pick a random book off of a shelf and check out. 

It’s pretty horrible. And it gets even more ridiculous. I even worry about my actions when driving. I’ll see what I think is my exit or turn, and then second guess myself, then realize that I was correct in the first place, and then decide not to turn or exit because I’d feel silly just suddenly slowing or turning. And it may not even be a dangerous thing, like it’s not too close that I’d have to slam on the brakes or anything. It’s just a little too close to be normal. And then I have to figure out a way to somehow turn around and make my way back to where my turn or exit was. 

If it weren’t for my “socially aggressive” friends, I’m pretty sure I’d never do anything exciting. They’ll decide that it’d be a great idea to just drive around until we find something interesting, they take hairpin turns when they almost miss a turn. It’s both terrifying and riveting. Thanks to them, I can say I’ve actually done some stuff and they help me be less socially discombobulated. 

Sometimes, I wish I could grow up to be just like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment