Sunday, May 5, 2013

I'm back.

Continuing complain-about-your-high-school week. Also concluding it.

The other day, I was kicked out of where I eat, during lunch, at school. 

This wouldn't be a problem. Except that we did absolutely nothing wrong. Me and three other people. 

We were just sitting there, eating. I don't even think we were talking. But this administrator-y (I don't actually know what he does or what his title is) dude comes up the stairs and tells us that we can't eat up by our locker anymore. Why? Because a teacher complained that we (along with the others nearby us) were too loud. Mr. Sir said he didn't know if it was us, but we all had to move now. And if he caught any of us eating up there again, we'd be eating in the office. 

Now, this just pisses me off. Partially because it reinforces my theory that school is a dystopia. And just in case you didn't know, that's not what a school is supposed to be like. 

Secondly, the  poor usage of "someone else ruined the experience for you." I can assure you that my group of people were not the ones being loud. We often actually don't talk. And we aren't sitting anywhere near any classrooms. So while the theory used is good in some situations, this one has no effect. The "someone else ruined the experience for you" discipline is beneficial when other students can influence others to not act some way. They will say to themselves, "hey, I won't be able to play with blocks if that prick Johnny doesn't stop throwing them! I better tell him to stop!" But we aren't in elementary school. And there are four different lunch shifts, so I don't have the chance to interact with 3/4 of the students who ate in the hallway. Therefore, I can simply only see it as a person of higher authority being lazy, and thus abusing his power. He treats us like children, and thus has lost my respect. 

I get that yes, he does have authority. But really? That's the way you choose to use it? I really don't mean to cause trouble. I just don't like eating in the cafeteria or the band hall (where many others eat) because it's loud and nothing good ever comes from those places. I've almost been "in" two fights in the cafeteria. Meaning two fights happened veryveryvery close to me. That's not really an experience I enjoy. 

So what's my solution for this? I don't really have one that will satisfy both sides. But when is everyone completely happy anyway? 

I would suggest that they relax the law. Designate where students can eat during the lunches. If math went to lunch, it's fine if you eat by the math rooms, since no class is in session there. Yes, that will mean that someone will have to patrol the hallways during lunch. Boo hoo. I'm sorry that I don't feel any sympathy if someone has to walk around a bit more. You signed up to work with high schoolers, did you expect it to be easy? (As if walking and telling kids to move and keep it down is difficult.) Keep your side of the deal, and us kids will keep quiet. I won't invite tons of friends up to eat with me. There are maybe seven or eight of us during my lunch shift who eat in the hallway. We like it that way. We'll keep the numbers to a minimum and keep quiet and you let us eat up there. No one loses. 

Of course, the administration hardly listens to the student body as it is, never mind my blog. So I'm essentially just ranting, sorry if you got this far. But just in case you grow up to become a teacher, remember, we kids aren't out to make your life miserable if you aren't out to make ours miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment