Sunday, March 10, 2013

Okay, who created daylight savings time please raise your hand

That would be George Vernon Hudson, of London, England. This  man right here:
I don't believe he actually had horns, but he very well might have. 

This wonderful man created the mostly useless event known as daylight savings time. He created this due to his love of collecting insects. Legit. He needed daylight hours to do so, and that led to him proposing the semi-annual hour change. 

I get that sunlight is good. And sure, it's nice in the fall to gain an hour of sleep. But in spring, the "spring forward" part of DST, IT SUCKS.

I do not appreciate losing a precious hour of sleep, simply so a man in the 1900's could gather more insects.

Iceland, Russia, and Belarus have even switched to "permanent daylight savings time," meaning they're forever on the summertime hours. See, what's the problem with that? 

I don's see any problem with it getting brighter later or earlier. I like night and I like day. In fact, I find that DST is sometimes quite bad. Often times, people forget to set their clocks back or forward. They might then be late to work, school, or an appointment. 

Maybe it's a government conspiracy. Maybe it's the communists. Maybe it's the Greek/Roman gods and goddesses' way of fixing someone's mess up. 

Nonetheless, I despise it. I'm tired. I feel icky. I was just fine yesterday, thankyouverymuch.

I think we should boycott it. You with me? Good sounds like a plan. We'll start an organization. You can be in charge of snacks.      

1 comment:

  1. I had a good friend in high school whose dad had an interesting hobby or "pet project." He spent a good amount of his free time trying to devise a new system of time keeping that would eliminate the need for daylight savings time, time zones, etc. Still to this day, the whole idea of a brand new, unrecognizable system of time is incomprehensible to me. I mean, who thinks up stuff like that...and drafts it, revises it, etc.??? If I recall correctly, I do think the genisus of his idea was his distaste for daylight savings time!

    ReplyDelete