Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sometimes, I really wish I had been born in a different era.

I guess that it's kind of a "grass is greener on the other side" mentality, but I honestly wish it sometimes. I feel like I would enjoy life so much more if I was.


I really prefer traditional gender roles, to an extent. No, women should be allowed to vote and get any job they want. And they should be treated fairly, not as beings worth less than men; it could almost be said that women are more important then men, as women are the ones who "create people."

I prefer traditional gender roles in the dating aspect. I feel that in the past, they had it right. While it's not wrong to do things in a different way, I think that it works best when the man takes the lead in the relationship.

Personally, I think the man should be the one to make the first move. He should innitiate the first conversation-leading-to-date. He should treat his significant other as something fragile, to be cherished and be treated gently. Women are, in general, more vulnerable and weak than men. And they should be treated as so. I also feel men should be the ones to propose. After all, he would most likely be the one sacrificing more. As the traditional head of the household, he would then be working to support more than just himself. He would have to earn money to feed two or more people, if the couple decides to have children.


I also think the "olden days" were doing it right with a more courting style of dating. The man would first ask permission from the woman's father, if she was younger, to take her out on a date. Many dates would be supervised at first, which I agree would be slightly awkward, but would overall be good. A girl's father should get to know the man who his daughter might one day marry. Because I think we often forget that dating is a preface to marriage. It's the "trial period" to see if a couple is compatable and might be able to tolerate each other for the rest of their lives.


I suppose this might just be because I'm lazy. I don't want to have to ask a guy out. I don't want to be the one to propose. Heck, I don't want to be a working mom. I'd much rather stay at home and raise the kids. But it might be because I want some of that romance we see in old movies. Long walks through the park. Innocent dates, doing cute things. That fabled day when the man of my dreams gets down on one knee and tells me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. But hey, what's wrong with a little dreaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment