Sunday, December 23, 2012

Paper or plastic?

This year, I had my Christmas early. Due to traveling, we decided to give gifts within our household family a few days early. And from my parents, I received a Kindle. 

I've been kind of reluctant to switch to electronic readers. I've never really felt the need to do so. I've always loved real books. Each book's style is different, I feel, from the way it's produced. The cover, the style of font, the size of the font, the size of the pages, and even the spacing between the lines helps contribute to the book's character. My goal in life is to, in fact, have my own library. Like one from the Disney Beauty and the Beast. Two story tall, spiral staircases, floor-to-ceiling shelves, rolling ladders, the whole deal. There's just something about holding a book that's made just to be read. I absolutely love it.

But my parents apparently decided that now was the time for me to go digital. I got one of those fancy dancey color light up touch screen Kindles. It's practically just a tablet. I've got Facebook, Twitter, even Netflix on it. It's the perfect gift, even for people who don't like to read books. 

So far, I like it. I don't have many books on it yet, just some freebees I found so far, but I'm guessing it'll be okay. It'll take some time to get used to it, like turning the pages with a swipe of my finger instead of physically lifting  paper. It's something different, but it's probably one of the better inventions of the decade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment