Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jack of all trades, ace of none

I've always admired aces. It's those people you know who excel in one particular subject or activity. We all know someone (if not more than one person,) like that. They dedicate themselves whole-heartedly to their "trade" and are downright fantastic at it. It could be a sport that they excel at, a school subject they master, or their talent in performing arts, be it drama or musical. 

I feel my admiration of these people comes from my tendency to not be like them. I am more like the title of this blog. A jack of all trades and an ace of none. I bounce around from activities, never fully committing myself to one. I fade in and out of interest of the school subjects I take, going from religiously completing homework one week to apathetically filling out worksheets the next. While I'm not ever particularly bad at any of these subjects or activities, I never particularly excel at them. I think this is why I admire the aces so much. Due to my bipolar-like interest level in things, I wish I could wholly devote myself to all these things that fascinate me. 

But alas, I cannot. As a human, I have a limited attention span, if not less than others'. My attention is being pulled in different directions all the time and I'm not the best at focusing it.

Who knows which is better though? Being fairly well rounded, a "Renaissance man," might be more beneficial for some. For example, someone could have a moderate knowledge of mechanical, medical, and culinary subjects. They would be able to perform a limited number tasks in a singular field, but would be useful in that their home knowledge could save a lot of trouble. In school years, that person would be able to take a wide variety of courses in high school and broaden their overall knowledge.

On the other hand, to be an ace of a trade would be more favorable when entering the real world. A person who is specifically skilled in medical practices would be more likely to excel in a job centered around medicine. This person could more quickly rise in position than one who only has a shallow knowledge of the same subject.
So overall, it simply depends on what your plans are. Having a wide knowledge would be both beneficial and interesting, but would it outweigh the benefits of being skilled in one specific topic? Each has its pros and cons, but it’s up for you to decide whether to be a jack or an ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment