Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mitt Romney, please stop calling my house.

There are three things I've never really understood about presidential elections, or elections in general. Just kidding. That's a huge lie. There's a lot I don't understand, but there are three aspects I don't get. 

The first is all of those political ads. It seems like wasted energy. It seems like to get someone to vote for your candidate, you should be talking about your candidate, not bashing the other candidate. You don't want the voter to think, "Well, Person A has all these bad points, so I guess I'll just vote for Person B." That's not the right point of view at all. You want the voter to think, "Wow! Look at what Person B is going to do once they win the election! I definitely want them having a role of authority in my government!" Pointing out opponent's bad points (whether they are legitimate or if they're just biased interpretations) seems like an extremely childish thing to do. I understand that this has been happening since 1800, when Thomas Jefferson ran against John Adams, but I would've hoped that we would have matured as a country, rather than staying the same. And let's be honest. Has a political ad ever changed someone's mind on who they're going to vote for?

The second thing I don't really get about the presidential election is the debates. I haven't actually ever watched a full debate, but who actually does? Anyway, I've never understood how debates help. I get that they're supposed to help inform the viewers of what the candidates' positions are, but as of late, they seem to be doing less and less of that. Moderators get ignored, candidates don't answer questions, and the candidates' positions seem to change each time. How does no one see a problem with this? Do we want someone running our country who is just really good at avoiding answering questions? I didn't think so. I would want someone for president who knows what they're going to do, when they're going to do it, and how they're going to do it; none of this moseying around the topic stuff. 

The last part I don't really understand about election season, is all of those phone calls. Does that really affect anyone? I do understand that parties are trying to reach independents and those who are undecided. But I don't really think that receiving seven phone calls a day from various political parties is going to be effective. Try one every couple of weeks, unless you're told that the person(s) in that household know who they're voting for. Then cross them off the list and don't call back. Just like how no one likes a clingy friend, no one likes an overly obsessive political party. 

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I can't wait for election season to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment