Thursday, October 11, 2012

'MURICA

There are plenty of American stereotypes and customs that the rest of the world views as odd or atrocious. Nationalism has always been a big part of American culture, but over time, it has turned into a bad thing. Often, the picture of Americans is the very one above. 

While I don't agree with that mindset, some aspects of American culture baffles me. It's one I've known about for a while too. It's the whole "state insignia" stuff. 

I remember the first time I heard about it was probably in first grade, when I first attended public school. Each morning, we would sing some America-y song. One talked about the state tree, flower, bird, etc. And as a first grader, I thought it was kinda cool. 

But now, it's a little strange. Sure it's great to have a sense of nationalism. However, if we have to stretch to create bonds between people living in a state together, I'm not sure if we're really doing the right thing. 

Now don't get me wrong. I love my state and country as much as the next person. I just think the state insignia stuff has gotten a bit out of hand. The things states "claim" as their own is getting a little ridiculous. 

  • State Amphibians: Seriously? Amphibians? I don't think we have that many different kinds of amphibians in America. Maybe that's why only eighteen states have a state amphibian. And Puerto Rico. Go commonwealths.
  • State Bats: Okay, now you're just being absurd. Only three states have a state bat. And two are the same. Oklahoma and Texas both have a Mexican free-tailed bat as their state bat. Isn't it a little strange that it's called the MEXICAN free-tailed bat? Come on guys, it's really not necessary.
  • State Beverages: This actually could've been cool. Except for the fact that 20.5/29 states chose milk. Milk. There are so many other beverages out there, but the majority of states pick milk? What are they trying to prove? 
  • State Firearms: Here's one that fits the American stereotype. YEAH! GUNS AND BEER! (By the way, beer was not a single state's state beverage. Whiskey was though. Woo Alabama!) But only two states have an official state firearm. Pennsylvania attempted to adopt a bill to make the long rifle the state firearm, but the Penns decided against it. I don't see why.
  • State Instrument: This would also be a cool insignia to have, if only states were more creative. Can you imagine if a state's musical instrument was the thumb piano? That would make them at least 10% cooler in my opinion. Unfortunately, few states actually have a state instrument, and the ones that do are pretty boring. 
  • State Tartan: This one is awful. Really, a state tartan? If you don't know what a tartan is, it's basically a plaid pattern on cloth. And it's ridiculous. Does a state really need to have a plaid pattern of it's own? It really confuses me on how/why more states would have a state tartan compared to a state firearm. THIS IS AMERICA.

So the next time you feel a bout of nationalism coming on, look up some of your state's insignia. Be prepared to be either really disappointed or proud. I can assure you though, there is no middle ground. Go land of the North American Bullfrog. 

(For a large list of state insignias and where I got most of my data from, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_state_insignia)

No comments:

Post a Comment