Sunday, April 21, 2013

I'm sorry

I really am. But I live in Iowa. So it's practically a requirement to blog about the weather.

So spring is finally here. Today anyway.

Tomorrow, it very well could snow, despite being in the sixties today. That's just how Iowa weather works. It's like a middle school girl who just drank a liter of Mountain Dew at one o'clock in the morning. Yeah. 

Today, it was sunny and reached 60. Friday, there were freezing cold gales and it was actually snowing. 

It's not all bad though. 

My absolute favorite thing about spring are the thunderstorms. 

I love them. How can you not?

Sure, when I was a youngster, I was scared of the thunder, but now I love it.

I love the way thunder can shake the ground and you can feel it. I love the flash of light and the anticipation of the booming and rumbling. I remember being a little kid and counting the seconds between the light and the noise to see how near the lightning was. 

I even love the rain. Most of the time anyway. It's the best when you're inside, especially in a trailer. If you've never been in a trailer or a building with just a metal roof during a storm, you're missing out. Hearing the rain on the roof of your house is one thing. Hearing it directly on metal is a complete other. Rain's also alright when you're outside, but only in certain conditions, like if you're wearing waterproof shoes, or it takes a long time for the water to soak through your shoes. Having an umbrella is favorable, but just a hood will be suffice if the rain is blowing towards your back and not getting in your eyes. 

I only really don't like rain or thunderstorms when I'm wearing flimsy shoes or it's cold out. Cold rains SUCK. I'm even going to say cold rain is worse than snow. Snow you can brush away, but cold water sticks to your skin. Hydrogen bonds, man. 

And for some reason, thunderstorms during the day are even better than thunderstorms at night, in my opinion. It gets dark, during the day, which is weird, but cool. If I'm at school, that means thunder gets to interrupt the teacher and I don't know, it's just great, in my opinion. Not the teacher getting interrupted, the storms. 

So the next time it's thunderstorming, just enjoy it! It's unlikely that there will be a tornado in most cases, and really, it's just the sound from the electrons in clouds being passed to the ground. Or angels bowling, whichever you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment