Saturday, April 13, 2013

The convenience of today

Every day, we take for granted all the amazing technology we have today. I mean, just think about it.

  • Heating/Cooling- We can CONTROL THE TEMPERATURE. I don't think you understand how amazing that is. Back in the olden days, you just had to hope you had a good blanket and that the fire wouldn't start your wooden house on fire tonight while you were sleeping. Now we can heat homes and even cool them. 
  • Phones- We can talk to people on the other side of the world. You used to be lucky if you talked to someone from another state. And that's just with regular phones. Will cell phones, you can be anywhere, and you can talk into a little metal/plastic device and someone in downtown Chicago can hear you. Practically telepathy. You'd be burned at the stake for being a witch.
  • Cars- Now cars are just ridiculous. If someone proposed cars now to the Department of Safety of the U.S., they would be rejected. I mean seriously. Giant metal contraptions we control at high speeds? And everyone has one? Too dangerous, vetoed. These even allow us to cross the country in less than a week. I It used to take around half a year just to get halfway across. 
  • Lights- We have lights, that run out after weeks, months even, and they are very little risk for starting fires. In fact, we have so much light that we often can't even see the stars in big cities. Back in the day, you had to conserve any candles you had, and they were pretty poor lighting. 
  • Glasses- Glasses are just amazing. We can make someone's vision perfect, even if they can't see their hand in front of their face. We are tampering with the human body, without actually touching the eyes. It's amazing how we have learned to mold some simple glass into something useful to us.
  • Fireworks- Fireworks are just weird. If you think about it, what's the point? Back in ancient China, I believe they were used in war, but don't trust me, I'm just too lazy to Google it. Honestly though, we set things on fire so that they make pretty colored fire in pretty shapes. It's weird. 
  • MP3 Players- We have the capabilities to listen to music, just us, in our heads. We can hear a guitar, a bass, a drumset, and a singer, all at once, without them actually being there. Once again, if you showed up with one in the olden days, you'd be burned as a witch. 
  • Electric Blankets- This is a personal favorite of mine. I would die without mine. I hate the cold. I can create heat, with just electricity, just for my bed. Without this "technology," I would have to put hot water bottles under my sheets and wait for it to heat up my sheets and hope that none of them spilled. I think that's what they did in on of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books anyway.
So those are just a few of the modern miracles we have nowadays. So the next time you turn up your thermostat or text your friend, just remember: you are a witch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment