Thursday, April 11, 2013

(W)REC(k)

I know, I am just so clever.

But yep. I recently saw [REC]³ Génesis. It's the third in the series, as you can tell by the itsy bitsy three. It is also completely in Spanish.

First, I'll give you a bit of background. It started out in [REC] as a zombie-seeming movie. Some people in an apartment building, someone goes crazy, the government quarantines the building. Stuff goes badly for most of the people. There was actually an English version of this movie, called Quarantine. None of the others in the series got English versions though.
  
[Rec] ² continues in the same building, but adds in some religious theme stuff. It was weird.

But seeing as how they made a third, it obviously had some appeal, right?

Well.

For the third, there's a completely different setting. It starts out at a wedding, and then they move to the reception. That's where things go bad.

Going with the traditional filming style of the REC movies, they start out with the camera angle being from actual characters carrying cameras. But then they break from that theme when someone breaks the last camera. From then on, it's all professional filming. It was a little disappointing. Having the movies shot from the point of view of the characters really set it apart in the other movies. But when they switched to regular filming, it wasn't as good. Just one of my complaints.

It really wasn't bad. But it wasn't good. The characters were harder to relate to. One of the main characters, the bride, was incredibly bipolar and I couldn't figure out if she was a huge wimp or a chainsaw wielding psycho. I didn't really like her. Her husband wasn't much better. 

There were also just points in the movie where I was dumbfounded. Like at one point, hubby and one of his buddies come out wearing full knight armor they stole from a nearby church. Yeah. I don't know. Then they almost immediately ditch it all. Smart movie, homie. 

Then the religious aspect comes back in to play when a preist starts reciting bible verses and the zombie type things stop moving and just kind of have seizures. So he goes on the loudspeaker and just kinda starts reading. The thing is, I thought someone tried that in the second movie and it didn't work. I don't know, maybe this priest was just more holy. 

I also didn't like the ending. Again, the characters were stupid and all. I won't ruin it for you, in case some night you're just really bored and on Netflix and you decide to watch it. It wasn't a complete waste of time, but I certainly could have been doing better things with my life

But then again, when couldn't I be?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment