Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ten things I *insert clever pun here*

Yep, you guessed it. Or you didn't. I don't know, I'm not a mind reader.

10 Things I Hate About You.

I was forced to see this by a certain movie freak friend of mine. She insisted it was a must see, something everyone should have seen besidesneverhavingseenasingleTerminatormoviecoughcough. But nevertheless.

So this afternoon, after baking a cake for our AP US History class, we decided to watch it. 

And it's not too bad.

Basically JGL wants this girl and he can't get her because her dad says she can't date. Then her family has an argument and her father says that she can't date until her older sister dates. So JGL decides he's going to make that happen. He and his dorky buddy team up with this douchebag, who also wants the girl, to try and get that to happen. They use the douchebag to pay this rebel dude who everyone is scared of to go out with the girl's older sister. Obviously there are the usual problems like with the douchebag and JGL both wanting the same girl, and other cliched stuff. And I'm just gonna ruin it for you, everyone dies. Just kidding.  

So it was released in 1999, and it's essentially a typical chick flick. Not that it's bad. 

It has the typical "be yourself" message in there and "don't date douchebags, but feel free to date the shady rebellious and/or dorky guys" message. 

But seriously. A movie with a young Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon Levitt in it? I can't complain. 

Along with that though, they did a fantastic job of appealing to my more feminine, girly side of wanting some guy to come and sweep me off my feet, and love me no matter. Sure, it was cliched. But sometimes, we just have to indulge ourselves and let ourselves hope and believe that there really is going to be that perfect guy out there who we will just fall head over heels for. 

Overall, I couldn't complain. The acting was good, believable for the time period ("Where did you come from? Planet 'Loser'?") and I generally enjoyed it. And I wouldn't mind watching it again. 

But honestly Macy, you can't consider 10 Things I Hate About You to be a "must see" and have never seen any of the Terminator movies. And if you consider Arnold Schwarzenegger to be attractive, it's practically a more action-y 10TIHAY.  

2 comments:

  1. lol its based off taming of the shrew so basically what u said is shakespeare is like a regular chic flic ahaha that cake looks fucking delicious by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. psh shakespeare was totally into chick flicks tell me i'm wrong

      Delete